Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Background Info


Licensed professional Standardbred horse trainer for 34 years. Grew up in the harness horse racing business. Father a trainer/driver 1950's through early 90's. We had a horse farm which my grandfather ran while Dad stabled at a training center 10 miles away. From a toddler I was always in the barn with Grandpa. Spent my childhood observing and learning herd behavior. About 5 years ago was dragged by a friend to a Chris Cox Demo at the Harrisburg Horse Expo. By that time I thought I knew it all about horse handling. Boy was I wrong! Have been enthralled with the Natural Horsemanship techniques ever since. Bought an unbroken 3 year old paint filly and trained her using Clinton Anderson's step by step dvd training program. Started using the methods on the racehorses in my care and developed a reputation for handling so-called outlaws and "rangatangs". Looking to wean myself away from the racing game (although right now that's what primarily pays the bills) and concentrate on riding, particularly trail riding. I'ld like to specialize in re-training Standardbreds to ride, starting colts, and working with problem horses. Plan to compete in Ranch Versatility this summer with my paint mare, Cherokee, and maybe that will drum me up some business.
I recently took on the project of leasing and fixing up an old run-down farm down the road from me with an indoor arena. Currently have 3 horses in training: one a 2 year old Standardbred trotting colt who will hopefully race late next summer, my paint mare, and a 4 year old off-the-track Standardbred trotter, who was not fast enough to race & owner wants broke to ride. Follow along in my blog to see his progress. Will post videos periodically. Thanks and I'ld appreciate any tips and feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment